Edinburgh Society of Musicians, 3 Belford Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3BL, Scotland, UK Edinburgh Society
 of Musicians
Edinburgh Society of Musicians                      BACK

Architecture - 3 Belford Road (formerly Drumsheugh Toll)

Drumsheugh Toll, 3 Belford Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3BL. - photo by Graham Bodenham
Front view, from Belford Road - photo by Graham Bodenham
 

LYNEDOCH HOUSE

Our premises were originally known as Lynedoch House, built on the site of the former Drumsheugh Toll and were designed by Sir George Washington Browne in 1891, in a free Tudor style. "A well detailed picturesque studio house designed for Martin Hardie RSA (1858 -1916) making clever use of the steeply sloping site. The design is an excellent response to the site with a striking juxtaposition of elements to the S elevation and large windows high up on the elevation facing N to provide the ideal lighting for an artists studio". ((c) Crown Copyright, Historic Scotland).

According to the entry in THE BUILDINGS OF EDINBURGH (Gifford et al, Penguin 1984),  "The steep site is brilliantly exploited. It is stolid and cosy towards Belford Road, with broad eaves, a squat crenellated tower, a four-light half-timbered bay-window to the West, and a canopy over the door in the angle; highly picturesque towards Bell's Brae, with more half-timbering, a big studio-windowed gable, a red sandstone octagonal turret and a dizzily elevated balcony (the terrace was partly reconstructed and extended in 1975). The detail has much charm, e.g. the cement base-course stamped diaper-fashion with a Gothic capital H and thistles, the beautifully leaded glass and a modicum of iron-work." (page 396).

Cement base course, Drumsheugh Toll, 3 Belford Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3BL
Click for larger image

photo by Beverly Gray

The base-course also features thistles for Hardie and eagles for his American first wife, Mary Hardie Lewis (1871 - 1898). Hardie's home, known at the time as "Lynedoch House", is currently divided into three parts: The eastmost section (no.1), which includes Hardie's studio, is a private residence. The ground floor (no.2), one-time home to the Waddell School of Music, is now the office of Kerr Blyth Associates (Design & Architect). Edinburgh Society of Musicians inhabit the split-level first floor (no.2), consisting of a recital room with leaded-glass bay window overlooking Dean Village and the Water of Leith, a cosy bar, a lounge, an artist's room with leaded windows overlooking Belford Road, and a small mezzanine room. The Artists' Room (right) - Photo by Philip Solovjov.
 
The Artists' Room - Photo by Philip Solovjov
Drumsheugh Toll, 3 Belford Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3BL Our recital room seats about 50 people. In the winter it has an intimate charm and in the summer, with the sunlight streaming in the windows, it enhances enormously the pleasure of the music performed. In the recital room we have two Steinway B grand pianos and in the artists' room we have a Zuckermann Flemish V harpsichord, which can be moved into the recital room when required. The recital room (left) - Photo by Philip Solovjov
Drumsheugh Toll, 3 Belford Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3BL - rear view   
Rear elevation
Drumsheugh Toll, 3 Belford Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3BL - front view
Front view

photos by Graham Bodenham

Drumsheugh Toll, 3 Belford Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3BL - front view
Front elevation
There is a considerable collection of photographs of musicians, both local and international. The lounge (right) - Photo by Philip Solovjov

Before the Dean Bridge was built by Thomas Telford and opened in 1832, the road to Queensferry ran along what is now called Belford Road, crossing the Water of Leith at Belford Bridge. Tolls for the use of the road were collected at a toll-house which stood on this site. It was partly incorporated into the design and construction of the present building, which dates from 1891. The architect was Sir George Washington Browne (1853 -1939), who also designed the Central Public Library on George IV Bridge, the Royal Hospital for Sick Children and The Caledonian Hotel. He may have been acting for two clients. The person concerned with the three floors below the level of Belford Road was James "Cabbie" Stewart, who ran a cab-hiring business from the house on Dean Bridge. His horses were stabled in two of the lower floors, entered from Bell's Brae.

text by Beverly Gray (President), Dorothy Forrester & Graham Bodenham

Other local information can be found at the Dean Village Association and Dean Conservation Area Character Appraisal

Home / The Architecture / The Steinway B / The Harpsichord / The Programme / Booking / Membership / Privacy / Contacts

Colin Kingsley - A Piano Recital CD

 Patrons - 
 Nicholas Bailey,
 Richard Demarco


Home

The Architecture

 The Steinway B

The Harpsichord

The Programme

Booking Information

Membership Form

Privacy

Contacts


Colin Kingsley - 
A Piano Recital CD